1515 East University Avenue
Lafayette LA 70501

Phone: 337-291-8500

DIRECTOR: Chad Nepveaux

Environmental Quality Division
Bulky Waste - Large Appliances, Furniture & Other Items

"Bulky waste" or large item collection is performed by Republic Services once a month. These are large items for disposal that will not fit into your 96-gallon garbage cart. All residents are in a "zone," or area that has large items collected in either week 1, week 2, week 3, or week 4 (see paragraph below starting with "Procedure for determining," to discover your collection week). Specific items that are collected – and not collected – are listed below.

We Collect

  • "Power Wheels" ride-on toy cars (remove battery)
  • Air conditioners (window units only)
  • Carpeting and area rugs (one-piece construction, rolled and taped)
  • Portable/moveable basketball goal and base
  • Carrying cage for large animals
  • Large appliances/small appliances (microwaves, floor fans, vacuum cleaners)
  • Large ice chest/cooler or storage container (both empty)
  • Large plastic children's toys
  • Lawn furniture and patio umbrellas
  • Liner for movable swimming pool (must be cut, rolled, taped or tied, and each piece weigh less than 50 pounds)
  • Manual garbage cans (must be empty and labeled "discard this can")
  • Residential furniture (including sofas, loveseats, recliners, chairs, dining tables, desks, mattresses, box springs)
  • Television sets
  • Trampoline mat (rolled and taped)
  • Large empty boxes used for appliances, TVs, etc.
  • Fitness equipment (tread mills, exercise bikes)
  • Wading pool (roll and taped), frame for movable swimming pool (rolled, taped, and/or tied, and weighs less than 50 pounds)

We Do Not Collect

  • No bagged items (this is considered regular garbage)
  • Constructions debris from residential construction or remodeling
  • Any item that is predominately metal (large appliances are picked up)
  • Barbeque pits
  • Bicycles
  • Ceiling fans
  • Toilets
  • Tires
  • Hazardous waste
  • Fencing (wooden, plastic or metal)
  • Lawn mowers and swing sets that are predominately metal

Metal items can be brought to a scrap metal dealer at no charge to residents. A listing of scrap metal yards is in the yellow pages under "Scrap Metals." Construction debris will require (a) placing as much as possible in the 96-gallon cart each week, with the lid closed; (b) renting a dumpster (yellow page heading is "Garbage & Rubbish Removal"); or (c) bringing the material to a "Construction & Demolition Landfill," where a fee is charged – call 291-8529 for locations. It is strongly recommended that if you hire out home improvement work, you require the contractor to remove and dispose of waste.



Residents have one designated week of the month that bulky items will be picked up at their address. Visit the Curbside Collection Schedule page to find your week. Place bulky items out the Sunday night before your designated week, and large items will be picked up sometime during the week.

Please call the Environmental Quality Division at (337) 291-8529 with any questions.