CATS CLOCKING IN
LAFAYETTE WORKING CAT PROGRAM
In conjunction with WildCat Foundation/SpayNation, the Lafayette Animal Shelter and Care Center introduces “Cats Clocking In,” Lafayette’s working cat program.
What is a Working Cat?
A working cat is a domestic cat that is unsuitable for traditional adoption and instead "works" for its food, shelter and care by hunting and deterring rodents from its “employer’s” property. They are commonly employed where pest control is needed such as barns, farms, factories, warehouses, stores, and private property. A benefit of using a working cat is that they alleviate the need for harmful pesticides which can inadvertently harm pets and wildlife such as hawks and owls.
- Provides natural pest control
- No adoption fee
- Vaccinated, microchipped, spayed/neutered and ear-tipped
- Adopted in pairs to keep each other company
- Ideal for barns, warehouses, manufacturing yards, residential homes, etc.
- Provides previously homeless animals with a safe place to live
- Employers must provide food, water and general medical care
- Employers will need keep the cats in an enclosed area for a minimum of 2 weeks for the cats to acclimate to their new home
- Employers must provide the cat access to an enclosed space as shelter
How do I hire a working cat?
After working cats are identified, employers are then given instructions on how to introduce their working cats to their new environment during the first two weeks and how to transport cats for veterinary care, should medical care become necessary.
Already an employer to some freelance working cats? Contact SpayNation
, and to help keep your employees from multiplying!